Western Virginia Appalachian Mountain Loop + ADD NEW ROUTE
15 in Virginia Virginia171 Miles
on September 1, 2007
- Trip Toolbox
- Start Salem, VA and take VA route 311 to Paint Bank, VA
- Now get on VA route 18 and take it to Covington, VA
- In Covington, VA, now get on US hwy 220 and head north through Hot Springs and Warm Springs, VA
- In Warm Springs, VA, switch to VA 39 heading east. Take 39 through Goshen and all the way down to Lexington, VA
- In Lexington, VA, get on US hwy 11 and take this south all the way down to the Roanoke-Salem area. Note hwy 11 merges with I-81 at one point.
Excellent scenery! You'll be traveling through the Appalachians mountains and two National Forest (George Washington NF and Jefferson NF). You'll also enjoy some wonderful river scenery as you travel along the Maury River. The route also rises up thorough the Goshen Pass.
Very good 2 lane roads and twisties along much of the path. Another good thing is that the traffic is fairly light.
Plenty of restaurants, camping, shopping, and parking.
- View the weather forecast for this area from Yahoo weather .
Nickname (optional) : vanhump