Tri-State Mountain Tour - Tennessee, Kentucky, and Virginia + ADD NEW ROUTE
52 in Virginia Virginia169 Miles
on January 1, 2007
- Trip Toolbox
- Beginning in Kingsport, Tennessee take 11W south until you reach Bean Station, Tennessee.
- At Bean Station follow signs to 25E North to Tazewell, Tennessee.
- At Tazewell, Tennessee stay on 25E North (right at the red light) towards Middlesboro, Kentucky. Ride through 25E tunnel into Kentucky.
- At the first exit past tunnel get off and follow the signs to the Pinnacle Overlook. Follow the signs up the mountain wto the overlook.
- After you've taken in the awesome view, head back down and get back on 25E South. This will take you back through the tunnel and into Kentucky.
- After passing through the tunnel take your first exit which is US 58 East heading to Jonesville, VA.
- Follow signs on US 58 to Duffield, VA.
- At Duffield take a right at red light taking US 23 to Gate City. From Gate City your just a few miles north of where you started in Kingsport, TN (just take 23 south to get down there)
Be sure to take a camera. Plenty of rolling hills and farmland. Ride along Cherokee Lake and Norris Lake. Up and down one mountain in TN., 1 mountain in Kentucky, and 2 mountains in VA. Really enjoyed riding through the tunnel into Kentucky where there is a State park (Cumberland Gap National Historical Park) that offers a spectacular view from the "Pinnacle Overlook" where one can see the three states that you cover on this route.
Most of the roads are 4 lane. There was not much traffic on most of the roads even though it was mothers day weekend. There was some road work on the Tazewell side of Clinch Mt. on 25E. Also a little work in Damascus, Va. Mostly rolling hills with some curve on the 4 mountains with the road going up to the Pinnacle in Kentucky being very curvy.
Plenty of places to stop and get a drink. After leaving Kingsport one does not see any restraunts until Rogersville, TN. Then none until Tazewell, TN. After Tazewell you'll travel into Kentucky and want to check out the Cumberland Gap National Historical Park (& Pinnacle Overlook located in the park). There are some eating places scattered throughout VA. until you get to Duffield. Afterwards one has to wait till you get to Gate City, VA or back to Kingsport, TN. to eat.
- View the weather forecast for this area from Yahoo weather .
Nickname (optional) : Sgilbert83