Central Michigan Excursion - Grand Ledge to N. Higgins Lake (US127 Alternate Route) + ADD NEW ROUTE
27 in Michigan Michigan140 Miles
on February 1, 2008
- Trip Toolbox
- In Grand Ledge head north on Wright Road.
- Turn right on Stone Rd - Left at Wacousta Rd
- Right at Hyde Rd
- Left at Maple Ave
- Left at County Line Rd
- Right at Eli Highway (County Road 453) (watch for a bad section by the cemetery soon after you turn). This will go through downtown Middleton. Be sure to stop at the Middleton Diner (on the west side of the Street) (Note: gas is available 1/4 MI east of Middleton on M57).
- Continue heading north on Eli Hwy ... you'll encounter a few curves and it then becomes Luce Rd
- At the Flashing light, turn left on W Lincoln Rd/W Superior St
- Turn right on Lumberjack Rd (head north) (takes you to/through the town of Riverdale, MI) just after you go over the old bridge. After you pass through Riverdale you will encounter a couple miles of curves and twisties following the Pine River.
- Keep going north and follow the curves as you eventually wind up at a stop sign at the intersection of Broomfield Rd and Lincoln Rd.
- Turn left on to Lincoln Rd (heading north now) (gas available after crossing M-20)
- Turn right on to East River Rd
- Turn left at Mission Rd (heading north now). You are now on old 27 and that is what we will take all the way to Higgins Lake. Old 27's names change as you head north ... they are Mission Rd/Clare Ave/old 27/Harrison Rd. Just before Harrison, continue on M-61 West. In Harrison, keep going north on 1st St/Old 27, AKA Harrison Rd
- At N. Higgins Lake Rd, turn right to end at N. Higgins Lake State Park.
If you want to by pass US-127, here's a route to take. Very little traffic with some curves. This ride will take you about 4 hours. The south part of the trip is mainly farm country and you end up at N. Higgins Lake State Park. Then it has some curves as it goes along the Pine River. North of Clare you will be going through forests and farm country until you reach scenic Lake Higgins.
Watch for a short bad section near the cemetery on Eli Hwy just north of County Line Rd. Also, when Eli Hwy starts curving be careful. For some reason vehicles and bikes have crashed even though the curve is rather gentle. Eli Hwy does have a slight jog when you are at Washington Rd. Some twisties north of Riverdale and some nice curves when you get into Isabella County. The road between Clare and Harrison was a little bumpy when I went there in 2007. The flip side to that is that you are going through forests in that stretch.
A stop at the Middleton diner is a must! On Eli Hwy at Washington Rd, Hubscher County park is 1 mile to the west. After you go north of M46 (Monroe Rd), Lumberjack Park is on your right and is a good place to take a break. When you get to Mt. Pleasant, you might want to have some of the famous Coney Island Hot Dogs at the Pixie on Mission St. Jays Sporting Goods is on the left hand side of Old 27 just north of Clare. There's a Ridley bike dealer across the street from Jays. Plan on spending a few hours riding around scenic Lake Higgins. When you come to the flashing stop light at the north end of the Eli Hwy run, Alma College is 1 1/2 miles to your east and they host the Highland Festival the end of every May. In Mt. Pleasant, there are many places to shop and visit, such as the Soaring Eagle Casino on West M-20. They book some big music acts at the casino. The Michigan Vietnam Memorial is in Island Park in Mt. Pleasant. The park is south of Broadway, east of Pickard St. The annual Freedom Ride from Houghton Lake ends at Island Park (1st Sat in August). See http://www.forgotteneagles.org/ for more info. Clare has an Irish Festival every March near St. Patricks day. Route stops at N. Higgins State Park .
- View the weather forecast for this area from Yahoo weather .
Nickname (optional) : Anonymous
What Riders Say About this Route Add Review & Rating
No Rider reviews of this route. Be the first to submit a review & rating!