Tri-State Country Tour (MA, CT, RI) + ADD NEW ROUTE
18 in Massachusetts Massachusetts120 Miles
on February 1, 2007
- Trip Toolbox
- Start in Marlborough, MA and take Rt 20 west through Auburn, MA.
- Continue to Oxford, MA where you want to get on Rt 12 heading south.
- Follow 12S into Webster, and then get on 197 South.
- Take 197 south to North Woodstock, CT and then get on 169 South.
- Continue on 169 South into Pomfret, CT where there's the Vanilla Bean Café ... a popular stop for motorcyclists with great munchies.
- Continue 169 South (a designated scenic route) to Canterbury, CT.
- Follow the scenic route signs over to 14A heading east and after Plainfield look for 49S off to the right.
- Take a right/south on to 49S to Voluntown.
- In Voluntown get on RT 138 East and cross into RI.
- From here you just stay on 138 all the way into Newport, RI (end).
This route brings you from forests, to farmland, to the shore. Mostly along roads without much traffic; though to cut back on road time, look at my alternate start.
Mostly on one lanes, and mostly in the country, this ride route is long, but easy on your butt, and nerves. Except, near Newport, if you choose to go there.
It's all country riding, until you get along the shoreline, where there's beaches to stop at. You go through enough towns to find gas, snacks, and bathrooms. This is mostly a ride for the riding pleasure, not really for destinations. The Narragansett shoreline is nice, but may be congested in the summer.
- View the weather forecast for this area from Yahoo weather .
Nickname (optional) : KerriOber