Back roads from Boston to Wells Beach and Ogunquit Maine areas (MA, NH, ME) + ADD NEW ROUTE
9 in New Hampshire New Hampshire75 Miles
on February 1, 2007
- Trip Toolbox
If you ride a motorcycle, it's tempting to ride up to the Maine coast, but the prospect of sitting through the toll traffic on I-95 is pretty daunting, no fun, and dangerous. Here's an alternate way into Maine, which especially works if you live in Boston.
- start in Andover, MA
- Head North on Rt 125 into New Hampshire and through Epping, NH
- After Epping, look for RT 155 to veer off to the right and take that north
- Stay on Rt 155 North into Dover (which is a good place for a stop, and a nosh)
- From Dover take Rt 9 North and into Maine and it will cross Route 1 and put you right into Wells Beach, in Maine
- From there, you are a short ride South into Ogunquit, or you can continue head up north on Rt. 9 into Kennebunkport
You mostly go through small towns, and forests on this route. You avoid the shore, until you get into Maine, and your destination.
This route is not a shortcut. Most roads are one lane, and there are stop lights in the small towns. Going through Haverhill is the worst traffic you'll encounter. Road quality is mostly good.
The destination is the point of this ride, as the shore of Maine is spectacular. Dover is a pretty New Hampshire town to stop and look around. The main amenities are found in either Ogunquit and Kennebunkport, ME. Both places are loaded with things to do that are too many to list.
Overall this route is a great way to get yourself up to Maine and yet save your throttle wrist and sitting in traffic for hours by staying off Route 1 and I-95. My directions below lead you to Kennebunkport and Ogunquit, Main. However if you've got other destinations in mind, just follow the below directions into Maine on Route 9, and in Dover, MN, take route 16 up to Rochester and get on US Rt 202. Route 202 is a great alternative because it runs parallel to I-95, only about 15 miles west of it, and there's hardly any traffic. From there, you can cut over to any of your preferred destinations. If your destination is Mount Desert Island, stay on 202 until you get to Augusta, and head East on Rt 3, which will bring you through the China lakes region. There's some great cabins and campgrounds around here. It's really pretty, too. In Belfast, there's dining, stores, and B&B's. From Belfast, you can get on Rt 1, and head over to MT Desert Island.
- View the weather forecast for this area from Yahoo weather .
Nickname (optional) : KerriOber