Nothern MA and Southern NH Ramble + ADD NEW ROUTE
4 in Massachusetts Massachusetts125 Miles
on February 1, 2007
- Trip Toolbox
This route makes a great loop starting and ending in Concord, MA
- Start in Concord, MA.
- Take 2A northwest for about 18 miles to just past Groton and ...
- Switch to 122 North (take a right), through Pepperell, MA and cross the NH border. You will pass Kimball Farm on your left, a great spot for ice cream, and apples. Warning: the drive is gravel. About 5.5 miles past Hollis, NH, Rt 122 will intersect with Rt 101 in East Milford, NH. Now ...
- Switch to RT 101 West (take a left) and drive for about 20 miles and you will find Peterborough, NH. Peterborough is a good place for a stretch, rest, and a bite to eat. Fill your gas tank here. Now you want to ...
- Switch to Rt 202 South. Stay on Rt 202 heading south, cross the MA border, and soon you will enter Winchendon, MA. Now ...
- Switch to Rt 12 Southeast (take a left) for only about a mile and ...
- Switch to Rt 140 South (take a right). Stay on that for about 20 miles and just before the Sterling, MA airport ...
- Switch to Rt 62 East and stay on it for about 62 miles and it will take you through Berlin, Hudson, and eventually to the route's endpoint of Concord, MA.
This takes you through some of the prettier towns northwest of Boston. No traffic, aside from Rt 2, and plenty of places to stop, to take a snapshot. Lots of forests, farms, and orchards to look at. This is a good gentle day ride, which brings you through some lovely towns and forests through the central north area of Massachusetts. There's a bit on 122 North that gets somewhat smelly in the warm summer months, due to the dairy farm that's right next to the road. Otherwise, you'll enjoy the different sights, and revel in the quiet beauty of the ride.
No traffic, the roads are of fine quality, and no real twisty bits. A great ride for someone testing their wings on a medium length ride.
- Groton is a lovely swanky town.
- Hollis has lovely orchards.
- Peterborough is renowned as an artists colony.
- Winchendon has lovely architecture.
- View the weather forecast for this area from Yahoo weather .
Nickname (optional) : KerriOber