The Three Corners Scenic Loop (Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa) + ADD NEW ROUTE
26 in Wisconsin Wisconsin304 Miles
on February 1, 2008
- Trip Toolbox
- begin in Belvidere, IL, and head north out of town on route 76 past Boone co fairgrounds. (co. fair, car shows & auctions).
- continue north to WI where the road changes names to route 140.(good rest. @ 76 & 173)
- take a left on US Highway 14 and pass through Janesville (home of Kutter Harley Davidson)
- in Janesville, switch to route 11 and continue heading west
- go to/through Monroe, WI on route 11 (Baumgardners in Monroe) - continue on route 11 to Gratiot, WI then south on route 78
- route 78 will run into route "W" where you want to take a right (head west) on to route "W"
- on route "W" you'll pass through New Diggens, WI
- a great biker town!
- in Hazel Green, WI route "W" turns into route 11 heading west ... continue west on route 11 and which merges with US Highway 151 and takes you into Dubuque (free maps @ welcome ctr)
- take a left on US Highway 52 (head south) of town
- continue on US 52 down to Sabula and take a left on to the route 64 and immediately cross the bridge to Savanna, IL. Take a right into town and follow the signs to Poopies Biker Bar (food, booze, clothing repairs, camping, tattoos)
- now head north out of Savanna by taking route 84
- head all the way up to Galena where you need to get off the bike again and enjoy this town (it's a great tourist town loaded with shops hotels, and restaurants)
- take Stage Coach Trail Road east out of Galena, IL
- continue to and through Warren, IL on Stage Coach Trail road which will now head southeast on take you to Waddams Grove, IL. Here you want to get on W. Galena Road for a short drive through Lena, IL
- take a left on US Highway 20 which will take you east and all the way back to Belvidere, IL and the route's starting point
This rides scenery offers everything from rolling cornfields, small mountains, roads along the Mississippi river, lots of small towns and an Illinois stage coach trail. A great sample of some of the best scenery from Illinois, Wisconsin, and Iowa. You'll also see some nice Victorian style homes along the way.
Most roads are in good shape. Wisconsin and Iowa are great ... Illinois has the worst of them (thanks governor rod).
Lots of biker friendly restaurants and bars along the way. There is a riverfront casino in Dubuque. And there are LOTS of touristy shops & b&b's in Galena, IL. You'll pass many parks, camping areas and local motels.
Lots of great places along route. I recommend the following: - Boone family restaurant for breakfast - Baumgardners in downtown Monroe, WI offers good German food etc. - Kutters Harley Davidson in Janesville - 2 bars in new New Diggens, I like the North side bar best. - Free maps (WI & IO @ w & 151 welcome center) - Poopies in Savanna, IL also iron horse social club and museum - If you need parts, J & P cycles w of Dubuque - Anamosa, IA has cool bike museum - Warren, IL has 2 good bars - Nora, IL has the Nora bar (recommend knarly burger 1#) - Bears in Ridott (bears fan) and Ridott Corners (grt burgers) - Take Highway 20 on Harrison before Chrysler plant has good biker bar: Dodge Lanes, 24 lanes
Call me and I'll go with you ... I'd be happy to lead the route - 585 729-8479. Or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, Bill.
- View the weather forecast for this area from Yahoo weather .
Nickname (optional) : hdbill